2.04.2013

20 Weeks -- Halfway There!


How far along?: 20 weeks -- how did that happen?

Size of Baby:  According to Baby Center, our baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces and is the size of a banana. However, the ultrasonographer last week said baby was 10 ounces a week and a half ago, so I have to think baby weighs more than 10 1/2 right now.  

Baby Development:  He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).

Total Weight Gain/Loss: My starting weight was between 130 and 135 fully clothed.  At my appointment on Friday I was at 137 pounds, so a weight gain of somewhere between 2 & 7 pounds so far.  I think it will pick up from here. 

Gender: We don't know, but it's sure fun to hear people's thoughts.  

Movement: Yes -- some days lots and some days not much.  At times it almost takes my breath away because it feels so strong.  I asked the doctor how soon we would be able to feel it on the outside and she said it is different for everyone.  She said because of my tight abs (yes, I started laughing at that point -- you can too), it might be closer to 25 - 30 weeks.  

Maternity Clothes: Pants -- 100% maternity.  Still trying to wear some sweaters and shirts from pre-pregnancy, but mostly in maternity tops.  I love watching and feeling my belly growing.  It still amazes me there is a baby growing in there!

Sleep:  Not great, but can't complain too much.  I get up a couple of times during the night to go to the bathroom and to move around.  Not sure I will ever get used to sleeping on my side. 

What I miss:  Nothing!  I love being pregnant! (okay -- maybe I miss sleeping well sometimes...)

Cravings: Fruity candy (Twizzlers, Skittles, gummy bears, Starbursts), chips and dip, burgers & fries from Culvers,  milk, and this week I think I've had Rice Krispies each night before bed (and I don't really even like cereal)
 
Aversions: Becoming less and less.  Still not a big fan of onions or garlic smell.  No Chinese food.  Bananas, poultry and I still have a hit or miss relationship.

Symptoms:  Hungry all the time, tired,  irritable and moody (I can go from happy to sad to upset in 10 seconds or less), having to use the bathroom frequently, dry red skin on my cheeks.

Best Moment this Week: My 20 week appointment on Friday was great and I heard a very strong heartbeat.  Baby was moving a ton so she had to keep moving the Doppler to hear it.  

Continuing to clear a bunch of stuff out of the house to donate and make room for baby!  

We have been so fortunate to have friends and family who have offered to let us borrow items for baby that they already have and aren't currently using.  What a blessing!

Looking forward to: Starting a prenatal yoga class next week.  Doing more shopping online for fabrics for the nursery.