How far along?: 12 weeks (and 2 days)
Size of Baby: From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.
Baby Development:
The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.
Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be.
Total Weight Gain/Loss: Last week at the OB, I was showing that I had lost 3 pounds, which seems impossible since all I do is eat. I'm guessing I was wearing lighter clothing.
Gender: ???
Movement: Not for awhile, though from everything I read, baby is very active in there.
Stretchmarks: Not for awhile
Maternity Clothes: No, but I did wear my belly band for the first time this week with a pair of jeans I couldn't button and I had to use a hair tie to button a pair of my work pants (I took the crummy bump picture below today while Pete was doing something else. Obviously need to have him take it the next time!)
Sleep: Inconsistent. Still going to bed early and waking up early and oftentimes end up on the couch at some point in the night.
What I miss: Sleeping comfortably on my stomach
Cravings: Fruity candy (Twizzlers, Skittles, gummy bears, Starbursts), chips and dip & fried things like french fries. Also orange juice, grapefruits and still the V8.
Aversions: Eggs, poultry, pork, apples make me sick (but applesauce is fine), bananas. Someone was talking about making beef tongue in a meeting this week and it was all I could do not to toss my cookies!
Symptoms: Still exhausted all the time, nausea has come back more consistently, smells are very strong (and many make my stomach queasy)
Best Moment this Week: Going to my first OB appointment, which included hearing the heart beating at 166 bpm (P says it's like a rabbit) on the Doppler.
Looking forward to: First trimester screening ultrasound this week (Thursday) which means we get to see baby again. Hopefully getting some energy back in the next couple of weeks. Telling the rest of our families at Christmas the good news. Having a week off of work around the holidays to spend with family.
Random Updates: This week-by-week thing is strange. Some sources say 12 weeks is the end of the first trimester, some say 13 weeks is. That being said, we are just one week from second trimester (staying on the conservative side). Last Saturday was Thanksgiving with friends at our house and I was laying on the couch with our newest god son, J (5 weeks old) curled up on my chest and stomach. Our garfield cat just glared at me the whole time, he was not a happy camper. Hmmmmmm...